Evolution of the prototype: summary

Genesis and assembling from the first ideas until the creation of the prototype

The map from 2008 to 2011: graphic

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 11 dicembre 2015, 0:42

I do a summary of the evolution of graphic design starting from the old map of 1999 cleaned up:
Immagine

The territories this time had to be a little bigger because I used the thumbnail 1:72, so I had to reduce the area of play:
Immagine

While the map of 2008 was still only 1 piece in 2010 I decided to divide it into 2 parts and create 2 boxes of the game, the box BASE (up to 5 players) and the expansion box (up to 10 players) ... so the red and the green zone would be the expansions:
Immagine

In this way I could decide the position of the decks on the map:
Immagine

In the background I used 4 colors to distinguish the 4 areas of the zones of land:
Immagine

I have prepared a scheme of texture to color the Kingdoms:
Immagine

First I colored the major Kingdoms with the colors of the armies...
Immagine

Then I colored the minor Kingdoms:
Immagine

To decide the location of hills, mountains, forests and deserts, I searched the internet maps such as these:
Immagine

Immagine

I have prepared a scheme to decide which territories were hilly, mountainous, forest or desert:
Immagine

These are the symbols that I have chosen to describe the various types of territories, the plain is no symbol:
Immagine

Then I prepared another scheme where I decided on the name of the territories and the position of the cities:
Immagine

For the cities I used pictures of some PC games like Age of Empires or Cossaks, first I made a collection...
Immagine
... then I chose the 36 symbols:
Immagine
Detail:
Immagine

The names of the cities have the same color of the areas of land:
Immagine

Same thing for the names of the Kingdoms...
Immagine

... and anchors to indicate the harbors:
Immagine

Here is a detail after you have added all the graphic objects on the map:
Immagine

I remade the wind rose...
Immagine

... and areas where to place the decks:
Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

At the end of 2011 i fixed some areas, 2 examples:

old:
Immagine
new:
Immagine

old:
Immagine
new:
Immagine

Finally, here is the evolution of the map:

Immagine

2009:
Immagine

2010:
Immagine

2011:
Immagine

More info in italian:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100#p212
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141#p1681
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=729#p1315
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The map from 2008 to 2011: the angel

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 11 dicembre 2015, 0:45

I wanted an angel on the map to replace the borrowed PC game Europa Universalis:
Immagine

Until 2009 I used that, but it was time to change it ... a friend had made ​​a drawing, but unfortunately there was absolutely fine with the graphics on the map:
Immagine

Then I met Rhodry, an artist (https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Figli ... 69?fref=ts) who agreed to draw me an angel.
First she made me choose the type of face...
Immagine
... and body posture
Immagine

Then he created the sketches:
Immagine
Immagine

And finally drew it exactly as I had imagined, very good!
Immagine

Color it was more difficult, Rhodry not using the computer for work and so did her friend ... here some trials of color:
Immagine

Immagine

The only change I did was change the eyes:
Immagine

Finished!
Immagine

More info in italian: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1195&start=10#p2261
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The map from 2008 to 2011: study the assembly

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 11 dicembre 2015, 0:47

After many versions that I am not here to enumerate, I had achieved a good map division:
Immagine

By removing one by one the various expansions, at the end you get to the map of the game for 3-5 players inside the box BASE:
Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

In the latest version of the map I tweaked the divisions so you can choose to play with the green expansion rather than yellow expansion:
Immagine

Exaggerating, I could reduce the area of ​​the box BASE for 3-4 players and increase the number of expansions:
Immagine

Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The map from 2008 to 2011: the assembly

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 11 dicembre 2015, 0:50

1 - Assemblage of the cardboard base for the map

MATERIAL:
10 sheets of cardboard (adequate size and thickness, in my case 700x500mm, 1.5 mm thick)
1 roll of transparent tape
1 roll of reinforced tape
1 roll of paper tape
Pencil
Rubber
Ruler or tape measure
Scissors
Cutter
Immagine

PREPARATION
The main problem is fitting a 1420x1080mm map in a 305mm wide box, so it has to be folded in a certain way.
The previous maps were folded in 2 ways: in 4 (classic method used in most cases) or in 8 (first longways and then like an accordion). This time the 1420mm of length didn’t allow me either solution…so I decided to fold it 10 times, first like an accordion, then longways, as shown in the photo.
Immagine

At this point you trace on the cardboard the size of these 10 folds, using a pencil and a ruler.
Immagine

Then you cut with the cutter (not the scissors because the cardboard is too thick and it is difficult, whereas with the cutter the first cut is slow and precise along the pencil line and then you can cut more energetically without being afraid of making a mistake, and the result is a lot more precise).
Immagine

You position the 10 pieces side by side to create a surface as big as the map, and start thinking how you are going to fold them (trust me, it is better to think beforehand and more than once!)...
Immagine

… then you start “blocking” the pieces of cardboard with little cuts of paper tape (don’t put it too firmly, you have to take it off) and then the resistant sticky tape (careful with the directions of the fold, one each way!)
Immagine

So, the folds on one side have the resistant sticky tape, while on the other side there is the transparent “soft” tape, which allows the map to be opened and closed hundreds of times without ruining it.
Immagine

Use the scissors handle to stick the tape firmly onto the cardboard (if you don’t, in a year’s time it will fall apart!).
Immagine

Done!
Immagine

2 - Putting the map on the foldable cardboard base

I asked a graphic designer to print the map, 300 dpi quality, opaque on top, adhesive underneath.
First of all I covered the edges of the cardboard base with reinforced tape, which also blocked the folds on the base.
Then I put the map on top, I checked it was perfectly in place and then fixed it to the table with paper tape.
Plus the map is big, more you must wait (maybe even a whole day) for the creases and folds to go away.
Now take the paper tape off on one side of the map (1/3 of the total length), and leave the rest attached to the table.
Open the lower film and cut it as far as you can (1/3 approximately) so you free the adhesive part under the map.
Immagine

Now is an important stage: put the “free” portion of the map on the cardboard base…2 people is better, one keeps the corner of the map up, the second slowly and delicately puts it down… do not use your hands or the scissor handle, it’s better if you have a sponge or a towel (preferably damp). Repeat the operation with the other side of the map.
I apologize for this single photo, but I was alone and had to manage (standing on the table, using hands and feet and balancing myself…)
Immagine

Now be careful!!! With the cutter you have to cut along the cardboard edges without ruining the map or the reinforced tape on the opposite side…careful…careful!!! Make sure you know where you’re cutting, keep the cardboard straight and…go!
Immagine

Done!
Immagine

Immagine

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - Assemblage of the cardboard base for the map

I took 4 sheets of cardboard sp. 2 mm. and I leaning over the laminate panels. The blocks of wood I will need to align cardboard and laminate. In the picture below I have already cut the cardboard in the bottom right corner to show you the 2 steps:
Immagine

Here the step of cutting the cardboard is completed:
Immagine

I was undecided whether to merge the board and laminated with glue or double sided adhesive tape ... I have not trusted because the glue would not come off in the long run ... this support is supposed to be the final version and deluxe, if I were to redo the map, it will attack again above here:
Immagine

2 - Putting the map on the foldable cardboard base

Panel below the map and still rolled over, as you can see there is only one junction on the upper side of the panel, the others are all below... This detail not to make the map much more beautiful to look at once the work... also clears blemishes and wrinkles that are created when the map folds in on itself.
Immagine

Map unrolled on the panel:
Immagine

Fixing map on the shelf ... this time I added an extra edge in the press that will be the flap on the rear panel ... this device I reset the protection times of the edges with other material, the structure is more robust and aesthetically is fine ... against the alignment of the map on the panel below is a little more difficult, but nothing complicated.
I leave it all so 1 hour to reduce the tensions of the press:
Immagine

Then half free map from the paper tape that keeps her locked extension and the protective film on the back:
Immagine

Damp cloth to roll out the map, it helps to eliminate air bubbles ... notice that I put on the right side of the adhesive sheets of gray duct tape that is used for bending ... I put these sheets to halve the gap the thickness of duct tape, instead of having 1 step I have 2 more thin that they are less noticeable once stretched the map:
Immagine

Done attacking the map on the panel:
Immagine

Accommodation edges with even the whole entire map:
Immagine

Cutting with the cutter of the various sections of the map ... this time I had to put a shim under the fold to highlight the cutting line because the panel under laminate is too precise and tough and would not allow the passage of the blade:
Immagine

Map BASE folded to the left and map EXPANSION folded to the right:
Immagine

Map divided ... with the new modular division can create different situations play area:
Only BASE: 3-5 players
BASE +1 expansion top 6 players (6th Novgorod)
BASE +1 expansion left: 6 players (6th French)
BASE +2 expansions left: 8 players (Spanish 7th, 8th Berbers)
BASE + EXPANSIONS: 10 players
Immagine

Immagine

Highlights a fold of panels:
Immagine

More info in italian:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100&start=10#p222
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141&start=60#p4300
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The creation of LOGO

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 11 dicembre 2015, 0:52

I began to think of the logo in 2008, but only in 2009 I had the right idea.
I started from this image of Europa Universalis:
Immagine

Then I replaced the word "Europe" with "MedioEvo":
Immagine

And finally I edged with yellow, the word "Universalis" to stand out better ... added 2 crossed swords (1 Christian and 1 Muslim) in the background that give an idea of what the boardgame is:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The BOX from 2008 to 2011: space calculation in 2008

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 11 dicembre 2015, 0:52

In 2008 I wanted to create the game box, one box that contained all the components.
I had decided to divide the components on 2 levels...

Level down:
Immagine

Level up:
Immagine

Finished Size:
300x620 mm. internal box
320x640 mm. external cover
145 mm. total height
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The BOX from 2008 to 2011: space calculation in 2010

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 11 dicembre 2015, 0:53

In 2009 I decided to split the game into 2 equal parts, tea, and complimentary EXPANSION BASE.
So I decided to create 2 boxes and I was forced to reorganize the space in every single box.

This is a simulation of how to divide the space for each player:
Immagine

Here an initial calculation of size: I have taken into account the thickness of the material that I used, the air to leave between a box and the other, and also to facilitate the extraction of the cover:
Immagine

And here all calculations to build a double wooden box for both the sets:
Immagine

Each set would occupy an internal volume of 546x311x130 mm. divided in 3 levels (lower level to the boxes of the players, the middle level for the components in common and the bases player, top level for the map and tables).

More info in italian: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141&p=1944#p1944
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The BOX from 2008 to 2011: external graphics 2009

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 11 dicembre 2015, 0:54

Well, the first attempt in 2008 was fairly simple and obvious, I had little time and little desire to prepare it:
Immagine

In 2009 I tried to improve the graphics of the cover:
Immagine

As a background image for the lower part of the box I used the same of the cover, but much more faded ... the end result was this:
Immagine

More info in italian: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100&start=10#p265
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The BOX from 2008 to 2011: external graphics 2010

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 11 dicembre 2015, 0:56

In 2010 I prepared the graphics for the 2 boxes, base set & Sets expansion.
Immagine

As in 2009, I used images of Dore to adorn the sides of the boxes, but this time were larger:
Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

On the bottom is listed the contents of the boxes (different for each box).
Immagine

Immagine

I am currently still using these boxes, but I'd change them and make them more beautiful.

More info in italian of 2008: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100&start=10#p266
More info in italian of 2010: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141&start=20#p2118
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The BOX: the assembly

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 11 dicembre 2015, 0:59

Material necessary? Always the same, this time however I have used a cardboard Sp. 2 mm. very harder and rigid. You have to remember Only you 2 things:
1 - the cover is more great of the box (obvious you will say you), but you keep in mind the thickness of the cardboard that use and that you will have to leave at least 1 mm. of air between the external perimeter of the box and the inside perimeter of the cover.
2 - the press that will cover box and cover will have to keep in mind of the thickness of the cardboard, therefore in my case it will be wider and longer than 2 mm. on every side.

PROCEDURE:
You traces with the pencil the perimeter and the folds of the box...
Immagine

With the cutter remove the parts of superfluous cardboard, remember the first passage: light and precise...
Immagine

Immagine

To engrave only the folds of the box for halves the thickness of the cardboard, even to position the blade of the cutter to the first tag, to hold tilts it so that the blade you penetrate only 1 mm. this way the incision will be homogeneous...
Immagine

To fold up the 4 sides and to unite them with adhesive "soft"...
Immagine

Now the beautiful one comes: to dress again the cover of the box so gotten...
Immagine

I have made it stamp as the map, adhesive under and varnished opaque above, I have not made it trim, I will do it me now leaving a white edge of 10 mm. around 4 sides (they need for the lapel and a pinch of aesthetics)
Immagine

Immagine

Now you don't remove the protection on the adhesive side of the press yet, but you start to center this last on the box, throwing and then fixing the position with the adhesive paper here and there...
Immagine

You fix a half the press to the box...
Immagine

Immagine

you cut to 45° the 4 edges of the press (you can do later also it if you are not experienced, otherwise you risk that they stick you between them parts of the press or worse still on the cardboard)
Immagine

and then he proceeds as explained with the map, first to free half protection on the adhesive side...
Immagine

Immagine

him "it smears" on the box in homogeneous way...
Immagine

Immagine

go away the parts in excess...
Immagine

and Energetic revision with the handle of the scissors on the inside lapel (with the closed point, instead, to cross again well the angles)
Immagine

To repeat the whole procedure with the other halves the box...
Immagine

MADE.
Immagine

These are the last version:
Immagine

More info in italian: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100&start=20#p267
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

PrecedenteProssimo

Torna a The prototype: genesis and assembling