MedioEvo Universalis II

Genesis and assembling from the first ideas until the creation of the prototype

Re: MedioEvo Universalis II

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 12:59

I was thinking "to create this prototype is like being in the kitchen and having to prepare a huge Christmas dinner for 10 guests ... have a clear idea of what to prepare, procure all the ingredients ... and then when we start we must take different timing of various foods ... so you put something in the fridge the night before, early in the morning preparing the dough to rise, while there are already over the fire pans with sauce, the meat is there waiting for its turn to be put in the oven 2-3 hours, the salad can wait, better make appetizers last so stay cool, etc. etc. "

Obviously I'm already working on the lining of the large box, but I'm still on high seas...

- A little bit because I have not decided exactly how to set the graphics, I thought it similar to the previous image of the crusades of Dorè on the edge, but I would like to add the logos of companies that participated directly or indirectly to the development of the prototype (various components, 1:72 toy soldiers, wooden objects, prints, cards) ... then I would make it clear that the box is actually a double box with one half with the base game and expansion in the other half ... etc. etc.

- A little bit because I'm still trying to apply to the hardware box ... The idea is to use the hardware as that of the trunks: 1 or 2 close front, 2 rear and 8 hinges reinforced corners (because now the box is made of wood and I'm already sure that if I don't protect it I will ruin printing lining in a very short time).

I like to have a brass or gold shiny or matte.

I turned the hardware stores in the area, but no one has protective corners ... :cry:
I searched on internet for 2 days until I found a website (http://www.ferramentatrifiletti.it) where there were some interesting things ... I wrote a short description of my problem and initially they propose to me these three items:

rear hinge:
Immagine

front closure:
Immagine

another front closure:
Immagine

It would not be a bad solution, probably the second front is out of place ... but the first is a little too big ... but I really like the angles here above and hinges (first item on the left) of the picture below:
Immagine

Obviously I can not have the hardware with different finishes for each piece ... so I'm still thinking ... I'm going to go to a store where they might have all... hope! ;)

EDIT: I went to the shoemaker yesterday ... and probably he has everything I need, he will take more info from his supplier :D
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

new "BASE PLAYER"

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 22:06

Here 2D drawing that I had prepared:
Immagine

Just retired from carpenter, the new "BASE PLAYER" which will replace the previous ones:
Immagine

I will have definitely finished with stucco where there are signs of nails and stained with dark impregnating ... But in a few days ;)
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

LITTLE BOXES: starting assembly

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 22:09

This time, instead of the usual system for boxes with cardboard, I wanted to try a new one that came to my mind ... I hope to make something good, thinner cardboard than 1.5 mm., stronger, lighter perhaps, but certainly more beautiful (if I'm careful :lol: ).

So where do we start ... ah yes, materials:
- sandpaper
- pre-cut strips of a laminate that I chose, thickness 1.2 mm
- wooden template perfectly cut to length (1 template for the boxes and 1 for the cover)

As you can see in this picture, I shot two strips of laminate to show the rough side that obviously will always be on the outside (and will subsequently covered by the press)
Immagine

First step with sandpaper I bevel all sharp side and top of the template to prevent spillage of glue and the detachment of the template from stickers.
Immagine

I put the template face down and prepare the lower fixes for 4 sides of the box ... I would recommend: do not overlap with each other otherwise make thick and the ground plane is no more horizontal ... we are talking about the thickness of 1/10 mm I suppose, but if we think that the laminate has a thickness of 12/10 mm we understand that it is a big error.
Immagine

I put the template face up and relaxes the lower fixes.
Immagine

Then I position the two short strips of the box and fix them to the template.
Immagine

I applied a drop of glue on each vertical side of the short boards... I chose the quick-setting glue (5 min) for wood and to facilitate the accurate dosing I have made a very small hole on tube of glue.
Immagine

At this point, without wasting time to avoid the risk that the glue dried, put the two long strips and set to template exactly as for the two short strips. If you can see, the two long strips are higher than the 2 shorter strips, exacly 1.2 mm, just the thickness of the "cover" that I'll fit perfectly.
Immagine

After 5 min. I loosen the top fixes ...
Immagine

... and apply a line of glue around the entire perimeter, put the "lid" and attach it to the side.
Immagine

Just in case the template is slightly lower than the lateral strips (as in my case), put all face down so that the "cover" sticking perfectly straight.
Immagine

Wait 5 min. and then remove the template from the box.
Immagine

Go again with the glue externally to fill any empty areas on the back of the laminate, internally clean any burrs, we will see later how to finish inside.
Immagine

MADE!
Immagine

There are 16 large and 2 small boxes, so 18 ... each composed of box + lid, a total of 36 times I must repeat the process :shock:
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Tables player updated

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 22:10

Here is the new summary table in front of the player during the game:

Immagine

I made some changes:

- removed the column about the overcrowding of vehicles (and the rules from the manual) because, although very interesting, often slowed down the game

- switching the position of the first three tables so to optimize space and consultation

- removed rules on capital

- removed rules on the 4th level of cities and fortifications

- updated images of cities, fortin, castles and palaces

- add rules about new tecnology cards: HUNTING, FARMING, CROP ROTATION, CARTOGRAPHY

- reorganized and made more complete table of the Game Turn so palyers have more information but in a simpler way.

- Formalized in the table GAME TURN also the auction for the MURDERESS (which is still an optional rule) and for the cards empire.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Step 2 for little boxs

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 22:11

I finally finished the first step of assembly little boxes and covers, here's a photo with 16 boxes (8 for the base game and 8 for expansion)
Immagine

... and then there would be two smaller boxes, one on each side.

To go to step 2 I begins with the smallest one and see if all is ok...
required:
- box
- 4 partition to place inside
- some cardboard spacers
Immagine

Even if the partitions have been cut with precision of 1/10 millimeter, they are still unable to put inside box without risk a very little interference, so I have to pass with sandpaper...
Immagine

... until it flows without resistance, otherwise they tend to "inflate" the side walls of the box with the risk then go to interference with the cover.
Immagine

Once all the partitions have the correct size, gluing it in the box, the spacers are the correct distance to place the partitions and make sure that they are perpendicular:
Immagine

Once I have pasted all the partitions I put a couple of rubber bands to "keep it all together" while the glue dries:
Immagine

Here the little box finished, including a string of glue on the top of the borders to hide the imperfections (being composed of two layers of laminate glued together on the rough side)
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Wooden bases: step 2

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 22:13

To fill the hole on wood bases someone had recommended me to use putty for furniture ... There are various colors, just heat it up even in the hands and becomes easily malleable.
At best, I can mix with the glue to make it even harder once dried.
My girlfriend volunteered for this job ... I'll explain everything, but she is not convinced and do not like the idea of working with this putty that hardens as soon as you get distracted for a moment :lol:

So I prefer to use the pulp to fill where there were signs of nails:
Immagine

Once the pulp dried, I scraped the excess with sandpaper:
Immagine

Ready for step 3 which I will probably in a week.
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

NEW TRADE TABLE: STEP 1

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 22:14

Having created the new modular map of the game, I'll inevitably recreate the table modular trade :D

This time I will have to repeat the same steps, but this time I will create 3 tables, 1 for base map for up to 5-6 players, 1 for the first espansion with 7-8 players and 1 for the 2nd module for 9-10 players.

Fortunately, I had prepared the tables with the distances and prices for most of those cities that I would actually used ... and indeed the city that I have discarded now they are what I need now...
BUT WHO AM I ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I realized that the city of Vilnius not so necessary and it's almost a duplicate of Riga, instead I will insert Genova because in that hystorical period, however, despite a slight decline, it was very important... I will make 2 small prints adhesive to attach on map to hide Vilnius and show Genova.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Coatings boxes

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 22:17

I should have finished the covers for the 2 boxes of the game, BASE and EXPANSION...
I think a little bit more because I make two tests to see how to print out an idea that came to me last time (if you notice behind the logo MEDIEVAL UNIVERSALIS is a background image in transparency, I will try to 10% and 20 %)... if not, I'll print without image transparency, more or less like this:

Immagine

In one corner I added the logos of those who, directly or indirectly, materially participated in the prototype:

CREA COMMUNICATION for all printing and processing all cards

LA FALEGNAMERIA for the construction of all wood components and the future deluxe box

SPIELMATERIAL for many components of the game (castles, cathedrals, coins)

The 1:72 scale miniatures of ITALERI e ZVEZDA

Bottom SET BASE:
Immagine

Bottom SET EXPANSION:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Final Round Wood Bases

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 22:18

The initial idea was to spend impregnating dark with a sponge (as recommended by the carpenter) and not with a brush ... Unfortunately, the areas treated with the pulp, to close the cracks and signs of nails, were lighter than other parts ... despite 2 steps of impregnating ... anyway, all spotted :?

Solution? A very light spray paint to hide the stains, but trying not to cover the wood grain ... maybe a little dark, but definitely better final result:

Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Step 3 little boxes

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 22:19

Meanwhile, not to remain without nothing to do, I had prepared all the "panels" of separation of the larger boxes, pasting them in pairs:

Immagine

I was forced to use the clips to block them while they dried because I noticed that the glue, drying, moving 2 panels between them even half a millimeter ... unusable then to fill them into the box :!:

Immagine

Then I give to the carpenter 30 of these "panels" and I did do a cut away ... 3 panels to each box player, each panels with a cut away of different sizes accurately calculated with caliber ;)
For what? Maybe someone remembers it...

Immagine

And here are the main steps during assembly into boxes player ... and there revealed because of the cut away: to receive the sword to the game turns random ;)

Immagine

In this way, I removed the box of swords and I split one for each player ... I was forced to take the dimension with caliber to minimize the offset and make sure that the sword, once backed into the box, not protruding from the upper edge of the box, preventing the closing of the lid ... 1 hour of measurement and testing :lol:

Finally, I have revised all the internal edges with glue to make the structure more stable and strong:

Immagine

Note: In order to reach all the corners, I was forced to add an extension (half syringe) to the tube of glue for a longer neck ;)
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

PrecedenteProssimo

Torna a The prototype: genesis and assembling