Map: forests, hills and mountains

Messaggio da leggereda Zamein il 4 luglio 2016, 20:37

While i'm writing Veldriss is completing the insertion of the map images:

Mountains
Cyties
Text
Symbols
and so on

He also added some kind of lands, mainly hilss and woods, he is using the following images for that:

Hills/Mountains:
Immagine

Woods:
Immagine

And there is the preview on the Spain territories:

2 years ago:
Immagine

and now:
Immagine

The big deal is in the proportions and in putting everithing in the territories that sometimes are just too small, but our Veldriss now got it.

There is one more thing, being the map divided into base set and expansion sets we must care on putting everything on the correct set, and if Spain and Africa was quite easy the UK gave him a lot of problems.
Zamein
TEMPLARE
TEMPLARE

Map: Almost done

Messaggio da leggereda Zamein il 4 luglio 2016, 20:38

Almost done:
Immagine

There are just a few things to define:

- The image in the bottom right corner should be an angel with the arm tended toward Jerusalem, teorically we found someone who is carring of painting it again but is a bit slow

- The Smolensk Princedom is surely worng but we can't find the right one

- We have to find a place to put the MedioEvo Universalis logo

- And there are always those 10^4 pixels those do what they want

Veldriss bought the new folding shelf where to put the prototype at the convenctions, it's gonna be largest to put all the components easly and to show the three different parts of the map.
Zamein
TEMPLARE
TEMPLARE

Map: summary

Messaggio da leggereda Zamein il 4 luglio 2016, 20:38

Some print test for the last checks:
Immagine

This time Veldriss worked a lot on this, something like a month starting from here:
Immagine

If for the last map there was 9 main phases with 54 side steps this time was 11 main phases with only 40 side steps... a great result

some of the steps:
Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

One of the things that veldriss prefer is his beatefull sea with that transparent image he love, probably he should enlight it a bit more but he was warried about weighting too much the map.

and now it's done!:
Immagine

Anyway the map is being printed right now, without the angel again becouse the painter style didn't fit the map graphic enoucht, now way to save it.
Immagine

This week end Veldriss will work on the folding base.
Zamein
TEMPLARE
TEMPLARE

Map: last problem

Messaggio da leggereda Zamein il 4 luglio 2016, 20:39

5 march 2010 (a tale from velriss diary :lol: )

"This morning... 6:30 AM ... the alarm sounds ... i'm still a bit sleeping but BAM!!

It came to me a Flash, i made a mistake with the map, the same that happened with the last one that nobody noticed).

I run downstairs, (bathroom pit stop), i turn on the pc and fix the error, SAVE

Save with name...

Burn...

(no time for breakfast)

Car... 3km... maybe 5... I arrive in front of the graphic agency where i brought the file yesterday in the evening...

it's closed... too soon of course

I leave the CD behind their door with a post-it

I call them at 8:30 AM: everything is ok, they fount the CD and will print the right version..."
Zamein
TEMPLARE
TEMPLARE

cardboard folding support

Messaggio da leggereda Zamein il 6 luglio 2016, 12:45

Ok let's talk about the folding support of the map...

MATERIAL:
N°10 sheets of cardboard of suitable dimensions and thickness, in my case 700x500 mm. Sp. 1.5 mm. (soft type)
N°1 I roll of transparent sticker "soft"
N°1 I roll of linen sticker (very strong)
N°1 I roll of sticker paper
pencil
rubber
meter
scissors
cutter

Immagine

Veldriss cut all the cardboard according to the require mesures, then he putted them all together ensuring the borders fits each other and signed the external borders:
Immagine

A scheme of the 3 parts of the map with their own folds in order to don't make mistakes:
Immagine

and the tape canvas as reinforcement:
Immagine

This time we are not using other kind of tapes becouse of some long time problems with the old maps.

Veldris decided to prepare the base in bcardboard with a mm more on each side.

The map will be ready on monday or tuesday
Zamein
TEMPLARE
TEMPLARE

We end the Map

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 12:45

Once resting on the support in the press card, I control the size and position in order to avoid surprises when I cut it:
Immagine

Then I began to fix on all 4 sides so it does not move:
Immagine

Once you see it all, I remove fix from 1 side:
Immagine

I remove the print adhesive from the back ... obviously only half:
Immagine

I cut and remove the back off:
Immagine

Slowly I attack the press sticker on the cardboard backing, make attention to air bubbles :P :
Immagine

It should not be distracted since to the last inch ... if it escapes from my hands and attacks on itself or on the base card in the wrong way, I must throw away all:
Immagine

Now you can leave the other half of the press and remove the rear:
Immagine

Repeat the same steps listed above:
Immagine

Now you can run over the sides to be cut, both on the back ... :
Immagine

... both in front:
Immagine

Here are the 3 parts of the map, base + 2 expansions:
Immagine

Creation of the folds:
Immagine

Here it is bent ...
Immagine

... and packed!
Immagine

Finished map :P

Obviously, these are my size proportionate to the miniatures that I have chosen and the space I have available at home ... and the number of friends to play with.

Of course you can always take the size opting for smaller miniatures, such as 15 mm. rather than the 1:72 used by me ... I think we can safely bring the size of the base map with a width from 1200 mm. to 800 mm.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Double box

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 12:55

Let the box, or rather, the double box ;)

Virtually all the components would be already present in the old box, I just release everything half and half...
Immagine

... but of course I have never met and also my goal is to have all the base set in a box and expansion in the other. Here is a test space for the components of a player:
Immagine

The idea would be to have a box for each player with everything player need inside (the pieces shared will follow a different route) to lighten the work of who distribute the components during the games.

Since this is still my prototype and not the commercial version, I will continue to maintain high quality so I thought to put the sword into the box; I will test its feasibility because maybe I would be forced to increase too much height of these boxes.

Even the nuts will be part of the components of the player personnel, I thought of a raised area in the box in order to facilitate the extraction.

Here, an initial calculation of space: I took into consideration the air to leave between a box and the other as well as to facilitate the extraction of the cover:
Immagine

I'm also considering to make these boxes of wood or cardboard ... I look at my other available materials ;)
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Project Boxes

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 12:56

I went to the carpenter a couple of days ago to discuss the work ... while I explained the changes to this box (sanding, plastering, painting) he looks at me and says: sorry, but we do not first to do it again? :lol:
True, are 10 pieces of wood and is better to redo it by choosing a more durable material, and obtaining a better end result.

So I decided to make it slightly bigger than the one I had chosen for a number of reasons:
- I can make better standard bokes inside
- I have just one more space that I was missing
- also solves the problem, opening box, to reverse all the components in the bottom half

Will be 50 mm longer and 60 mm (30 mm per side) higher ... 12 mm thick, unfortunately I have to give up the rope handles that there is no space to fix.

I finished the project design of the 2 BOXES and boxes on and... attention ... I make a lot standar: Each box side will contain, among other things, eight boxes of about 300x100 mm all equal :D , 5 of which for each player and 3 for the rest of components ... excellent result for the mass production.

Sorry, I place the image of the design even if you do not see almost anything:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

NEW little boxes: the material

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 12:58

I just now withdraw from carpenter the material needed to make new boxes that will contain all the components of the game:

Immagine

I chose, instead of the card as the previous version, a laminate of thickness 1.2 mm. really very nice, but above all, very strong.

The drawback of this choice is the inability to bend it like cardboard, so I have tested assembly with two different adhesives: the standard vinavil glue and hot glue.
Results: hot glue much more resistant, crystal clear, but difficult to homogeneous assay with a gun (or not I can do :? But I would point out that the gun that I bought was marked "china export" and not CE of the European community... infact it has a number of weaknesses which are highlighted using it); vinavil less resistant, transparent as well, but surely much more malleable/spread and also have much more time to correct any defects or errors.

Here is a picture of the two tests, before hot glue, vinavil glue behind:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Posters lining boxes

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 luglio 2016, 12:58

While I wait to have a couple of afternoons of free time on weekends to start assembling the boxes, I carried on with the future of print linings, both boxes and their covers ... I have not yet done printing, never know if I wants to change something at the last moment ;)

Here the covers:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

PrecedenteProssimo

Torna a The prototype: genesis and assembling