The creation of MedioEvo Universalis

Genesis and assembling from the first ideas until the creation of the prototype

ADVERTISING DISPLAY: the finishing touches

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:15

The lower part of the display was ok, but above?
What could I put?

Photos of the game?

Descriptions of the game?

Images of a battle?

No idea….

The I tried making some big frames, similar to cards, where in each one I explained an interesting aspect of my prototype, here are 3 of them, so you get an idea:

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

I created 10 frames…once I had put them on the top part of the display, this is what it looked like:
Immagine

And here it is, next to the prototype, during Ludica 2008 at the Forum of Assago:
Immagine

….what hard work!!! :shock:
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

THE RULES

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:15

I will tell you straight, I would have rather created the components all over again rather than writing the rules! :lol:

The necessity had arisen with the game: in 2 hours, before starting the first game at Petto’s house, I had explained the rules to 11 friends…from A to Z.

Obviously during the first weeks there were a lot of questions, because there were so many to remember and also because I kept changing things here and there…today we would play with these rules on alliances, tomorrow we might change 3 rules on commerce etc…

I had thought about writing the rules down, but as we were always the same 15 players, it didn’t make sense.

Mozzy (one of my friends) insisted on having written rules: he didn’t like the fact that rules were changed during a game to recuperate time on playtesting…or that rules changed from one game to another….

…I told him “you write the rules down as we play”…

…and he said. “ok, no problems”…

I don’t know if he got to the 5th line, the he stopped... ;)
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

I started to write the rules

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:16

Things stayed this way for the 4 years we continually played with the old prototype….

Then I decided to show the public, first on internet in forums and then during conventions…

Every so often someone would ask: “Can I read the rules?”; “What about the rules?”; “When are you going to post the rules?”.

Ok, let’s write these rules ;)

I looked for all the boardgame rules I had, just to get an idea…some sections were similar, others totally different, according to how the game was structured.

19th September 2007 I started to prepare the material…some parts were still from other games…the setting wasn’t historical because I hadn’t done the map….but for now it was ok, I could change the images if necessary.

I prepared a series of photos of all the parts, so I could put them in the descriptive grids of the rules:
Immagine

I also prepared some images of dices for the chapter on fighting:
Immagine

Then I started to write…it took me ages just to write the first 2 pages…but once I got started I went on like a house on fire.
By January 2008 I had defined all the chapters...
Immagine

... and I had written the main concepts of each one…more or less 25 pages.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Fixing the rules

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:17

I sometimes flicked through them, correcting things here and there, adding a paragraph, but I didn’t really change much.
Once I had got to a good point, I think it was May 2008, I printed some copies and gave them to my friends so they could give me some advice… I told them to be cruel, and they were! Here are a couple of examples of what they wrote:
Immagine

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I kept all the corrections, even though some of them were a bit weird, but others were good…

In the meanwhile, going to conventions, I realized I really needed some rules, especially when a publishing major would come and ask for information… in a certain sense it was a good thing that the rules weren’t ready yet, because I got the impression that the person in front of me was more interested in my idea, non in offering money or something similar… but here I could go on and on..

Summer 2008 and guess what I take on holiday? The rules OF COURSE!!!!
In Puglia under the sunshade I kept writing, cancelling, correcting :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I was inspired, and I couldn’t stop!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The rules: urgent

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:18

Then something changed: during the conventions of PLAY and LUCCA COMICS I had been asked for a written copy of the rules to evaluate the prototype… :shock:

Shit…it wasn’t ready yet!!

I didn’t really want to, but it was a big opportunity, I couldn’t lose it…

For 2-3weeks, every second of my spare time was for the rules; I had read them 10 times, changed sentences, re-written paragraphs… and finished writing chapters that were half empty…

Almost final step: I asked my father (a retired Italian/history/geography teacher) to correct it.

Finally, I put the layout and the pages right…let’s just say I hardly slept at night!

But I was within the time limit, so I prepared the PDF version and sent it.

I will show you some differences between the first version and the final one:

BEFORE:
Immagine

AFTER:
Immagine

BEFORE:
Immagine

AFTER:
Immagine

BEFORE:
Immagine

AFTER:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Rules: final touches

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:19

To finish my work, I decided to decorate the printed version of the rules with a cover:
Immagine

I also printed the rules on only the even pages (2-4-6 etc.), while on the odd pages (3-5-7 etc.) I put the images of Dorè which I had kept for this purpose.
Immagine

Here is the manual “in action” :D during a convention:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Images of the whole game

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:20

Now is the time to show some of the final images of this prototype:

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine