The creation of MedioEvo Universalis

Genesis and assembling from the first ideas until the creation of the prototype

Creation of the first version of the player sheet of paper

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:54

First I had to change the size of the image so it would fit onto an A4 sheet of paper….I had to copy ,move and twist around, but then I managed…then I had to cancel the writing and eliminate the lower fold of the parchment, like this:
Immagine

second step: I had to colour the grids I had, and put them on the parchment, like this:
Immagine

nice, but I wasn’t totally satisfied…
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Elaborating the diplomacy rules

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:55

I wasn’t satisfied because the diplomatic section wasn’t explained…also, it didn’t consider the various religions in the game: in fact, when I played at home with a non historical version, I hadn’t thought of giving a bonus or a penalty according to alliances or wars…

I was really into this idea, because I was sure it would have made diplomatic relations really interesting... :shock:

I studied the matter, simulating a country and creating various problems…then I started balancing bonuses and penalties and then again I tested every nation…

In the end I managed to intertwine the DIPLOMACY rules with the idea of CASUS BELLI and the HONOUR POINTS (which made you win the game), obviously considering the Pope and possible scomunications…so a player who is good in diplomatic relations can really make a difference in certain stages of the game! :twisted:

As I have already written on IDG and TdG, I cannot explain to you how this works…well, I could, but then I would have to kill you! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The final version (for now) of the player sheet of paper

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:57

Once I had decided the rules, I had to put the graphics right, especially in the diplomatic sector!

I wanted to put something in each cell that could help the players to:
- write down and remember alliances
- bonuses and penalties they would face if they made certain decisions
- CASUS BELLI
- military and commercial alliances
- enemies

I had started to work on numbers and colours…
[imghttp://www.medioevouniversalis.org/images/TABELLE/MedioEvo_Universalis_TECNOLOGIE_NUMERI.jpg[/img]

…but it wasn’t easy to understand for younger players.

Because I didn’t have much space for symbols, I had decided to separate the 2 grids (trade and diplomacy) and put them on 2 different pages (back and front).

I had experimented, and had made a horizontal version of the diplomacy grid…
Immagine

…I had introduced crosses (catholic and orthodox) and the half moon to recognize the 3 factions; I was also thinking of introducing symbols that represented the various diplomatic options…but that was going too far…

I tried vertically…it looked better, I could use the space in a better way and I could decorate the parchment with the coats of arms of the Kingdoms:
Immagine

After some more tries, this is the final version (for now…I’m still not completely satisfied):
Immagine

Here are the two sides of the sheet of paper: trade and diplomacy
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

ARMY BANNERS

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:07

The prototype was almost finished…at least, what I could put right, build, invent, adapt, buy, I had…but I wasn’t a plastic factory, or a carpenter o a printing factory! :roll:

One of the things you could still notice were the Shogun banners which I used as ARMY BANNERS…the first idea that came to my mind was to transform the vertical banner into a horizontal flag…and so I did:

- I prepared some strips of cardboard (the flag poles) as thick as the banner

-I printed the flags…always the same procedure, high quality and plastified.
Immagine

Then I put everything together adding some glue where it was needed.
Here are some photos of thee result on the map:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The brochure

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:09

What was missing?
Some advertisement at conventions, something to give to visitors when they asked for information to take away…and maybe an e-mail, or a website…

What then??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had already felt this necessity, but wasn’t quite sure what to do…

A card?

Two printouts, one with the history of the prototype and one with the main traits?

No idea…..

My girlfriend suggested a small brochure, A5, which would fold over.

No idea…..

I asked IDG and Tdg…I was sure they would give me some good advice…and on IDG they advised the brochure, giving me some examples, shapes and standards: PERFECT!

I decided to use an A4 format, folded in 3 parts and using all the sides…

I had to give as many information as possible without making things too complicated for the reader.

I looked at what I had made so fare and decided what to use:
- certainly the background of the box and the logo
- the lower part of the players panel gave me the chance to add information such as e-mail, phone number etc…and also the website! :D
- the plate on the lid with age and number of players, plus the lenght of a game
- a list of the components like I had already put on the bottom of the box
- a brief description of the main traits of the game
- a nice image of the whole game spread out on a table and some catchy phrases to attract attention on the main traits.

I created 3 versions of the brochure…and kept renovating it each time I changed something in the game… this is the last version:

FRONT:
Immagine

BACK:
Immagine

Together with the graphic designer we decided the type of paper (not too thick or too thin); I noticed that the back came out better if I saved the picture at 32 bit instead of 24bit.
I can’t remember how many I printed…I think the total was more or less 500 copies… they all disappeared! ;)
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

MUSIC CD-ROM

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:10

I had done practically everything…

Why not a soundtrack for the game? :!:
I had already had this idea in 1999 when I had started collecting material for the previous prototype…

As a starting point I had installed on my computer all the games I had bought until then: Age of Empires, Medieval Total War, Europa Universalis, Risk, Stronghold, Civilization, Rise of Nations and others…once they were on my computer I searched in each folder looking for things I could “steal” and use:
-backgrounds
-pictures
-maps
-icons
-figures
-text
-frames
-texture
A total 3GB of material which I still keep for my creations.

I had also saved the sounds, just the introduction music or the soundtrack, but also sounds like thunder, wind, storm, earthquake, horse hoofs, cavalry charges, civilian or soldiers shouting etc etc…

I wanted to create a CD-ROM….

The first version in 2001 was already in mp3 format, it had taken me some time to convert the older music ( wav format, for example) as it wasn’t so easy to find programs that would convert these formats into mp3…
The result was 2 CDs, one for the calm stages, and the other for when the situation “heated up”
:lol:

I must admit we didn’t use them much, 10 times at the most, it was such a hassle to find a stereo which would read mp3 files…and using a laptop wasn’t an option, even though we did try, once or twice.

There were too many musics, some weren’t really suitable for my prototype, and even if they sounded ok while you were playing a computer game, they didn’t have the same effect with the boardgame.

Anyway…in 2007 I began reconsidering the matter…it wasn’t a vital aspect of the game, so it was always pushed aside, because I had to think about the map, the box, the miniatures etc…

Only towards the end of 2008 I found some time for this matter:
- I took all the music I had collected 9 years earlier
- I looked for other music in new games and in film soundtracks (THE CRUSADES or THE DA VINCI CODE)
- I listened to all of them at least 3 times, to understand what I had and what I wanted to do
- I even downloaded some medieval music from internet, but it was too different from what I had in mind
- I decided not to put voices, shouts, sounds of any kind between 2 music files like I had done for the 1st CD
- I still had 300-350 pieces of music to consider

I would have liked to fill a whole CD with mp3 files suitable for my prototype, but it would be a hard job...
I created 3 folders: YES, NO, MAYBE.

As I listened to the music I decided which folder to put them into, if I was uncertain I would put them in MAYBE, for another evaluation…this for all 350 files, and in the end I eliminated 80 files I would certainly not use.

The music in MAYBE, more than 200, were listened to again. :D

I had 100 files, 30 YES and 70 still maybe, and after listening to them 2-3 times I managed to chose the final 78.

At this point I put the CD in my car and listened to it for a month…I even forced my girlfriend to listen to thi amazing compilation every time she got into my car :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the end I chose 50 files, I prepared the image for the cover and finished this chapter of my work:
Immagine

I never managed to use them at conventions, for various reasons: at Parma my stand was the only one without electricity, at Calcinato I was too far away from the plug, at the Giochi dell’uva there was already music playing, at PLAY and LUCCA there was too much noise… :(
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Ideas for an ADVERTISING DISPLAY

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:11

Made 30, made 31, made also 32... why don't try to make 33?

During the conventions I had noticed that my attention was attracted to objects hanging vertically (for example: if I saw in the distance some fantasy t-shirts hanging up, I would go towards them and not to a comic stand with books lying on the table…)
But I was also attracted to bold lettering: if you looked around, you were instantly drawn to vertical names suggesting where you should go…

Same thing for my prototype: I had noticed that if I stood the lid up, people would notice it from further away…just a few metres, but I had I little more CoA (Controlled Area in wargames :D ).

So, why shouldn’t I invest in this?

How?

I had been looking around for some time, and had seen that some put their advertising display on the walls, other had a modular display onto which they glued some posters…mmmm…I usually didn’t have walls, I wonder how much these displays would cost….some were really nice….maybe too expensive? And then, who would print on such big sized material?

mmmm...
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

ADVERTISING DISPLAY: it can be done!

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:12

What luck, a couple of interesting things happened:

-my boss wants to renovate the showroom, so he has to get rid of all the advertising displays he has, and he “gives” me some :D

-I go to my graphic designer to pick up some prints…while I am waiting, I notice that one of the guys who work there has just finished printing an enormous advertisement poster on the same material I had seen at the conventions (and in the showroom).

I ask for further information: material, cost, maximum dimension, printing quality etc…if 5 minutes all my doubts have been washed away…

OK!

IT

CAN

BE

DONE!
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

ADVERTISING DISPLAY: preparation

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:12

I always begin from the basic image, used everywhere in my prototype:
Immagine

Obviously it had to be made smaller and in scale, so it could cover a 1000x2000mm surface:
Immagine

It had to be changed, it wasn’t high enough, the central logo was too big and close to the edges, so I decided to add two horizontal strips to perhaps add some writing:
Immagine

Till here, all ok.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

ADVERTISING DISPLAY: processing

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 18:13

At this point, I had to fill it and give it some life…

I decided to colour the 2 horizontal strips like the player panel and the brochure, with the stone texture I was also using as background for the EMPIRE cards.

Then I decided the idea I had had some time back for the players’ t-shirts: blending a drawing with an image, in this case I wanted to use a map of my prototype and an image of Europe…
Immagine

At the beginning I thought I would never manage to “deform” the map so it would blend with the image underneath….but in the end, I achieved this satisfying result:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

PrecedenteProssimo

Torna a The prototype: genesis and assembling