The creation of MedioEvo Universalis

Genesis and assembling from the first ideas until the creation of the prototype

TRADE: calculations

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:46

At this point I prepared a grid with the distances between all the cities:
Immagine

Then I chose a minimum and maximum price for each good and created a grid with all the average prices in all the cities:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

TRADE: making the grid

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:47

First I prepared symbols and colours for each good, to combine with the barrels on the map…

BEGINNING…
Immagine
END…
Immagine

The cities are in alphabetical order and coloured according to the land areas (4) so they can be found easily.
Each good has 2 columns: sale and purchase.
The enhanced cells are the best prices for purchase(orange) and sale (blue).
Immagine

DONE.

This is how the trade grids changed, in the 80’s (Marco Polo), 2000, 2007 2008:
Immagine

This is the TRADE GRID in the game:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The player panel

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:47

I had to create some new ones, because the ones I had were old:
Immagine

They still had images and rules of 8 years earlier, when I had created the first version of the prototype… not good! :(
Nothing was usable…the objects, the writing, the colours :?
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The NEW player panel: photos

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:48

Here we do everything from the beginning…

First of all the images of object I had to put in the legend, such as fortresses and transport…. I still hadn’t substituted everything, but for now it would have to do.
I had a series of images like this one:
Immagine

Same thing for the different types of ground, here is a detail of the map to give you an idea:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The NEW player panel: GRIDS and BACKGROUND

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:48

At this stage I used the old grids to create some new ones, with all the most important rules of the game… I wanted to use coloured text like I had already done with the cards; this is what one of the grids looked like:
Immagine

For each player I needed a specific background to put the grids on. I liked the old method, so I used it again, with new colours of course. This is the French background:
Immagine
(Sorry if it’s not perfectly in focus, but it’s because I changed the size to put it on the forum)
The lower part with the stone texture would be the area which had to fit in the support…I did a series of tests and in the end this part is quite thin.

I did various intermediate tests, of course: I completely remade the panels at least twice because each time I noticed a little detail that didn’t satisfy me completely…or something was missing…what?

THE STEPS AND ROUNDS OF THE GAME, for example

It may seem stupid, but I had only just realized that one of the most frequent questions at conventions was how the rounds worked…so I made the panels again to solve the problem.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The NEW player panel: inside

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:49

Once I had put the grids on the background, in the right size, position and proportion, the NEW panel was more or less like this:
Immagine

These are some phases of its evolution, 2000, 2007, 2008:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The front of the player panels…

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:50

Once I had put the player’s side right with all the grids, I had to create an image for the front…

My main problem was heraldry…I couldn’t find a coat of arms for all the 10 main Kingdoms I had chosen… and just think that at the beginning I wanted to give a coat of arms to ALL Kingdoms…impossible!

I started a research, and here are some of the coats of arms I collected…
Immagine

Immagine
Then I realized I couldn’t collect all of them, so I limited myself to the 10 main Kingdoms.

At this point I took the images I had available: various crosses, half moons…I decided to add some towers at the side to give the idea of a castle.
Immagine

The lower part would disappear into the support.
This is a first 2008 version, which was really cheap because I used the lid of the small boxes as a support, but I didn’t like it…for my aesthetic canons it was quite sad.
It respected all the rules I had been given during the first conventions, but I didn’t like it…

So? So I did it all again…I was also adding the legend for the rounds and other grids, so the size changed a lot…it was wider but 3cm shorter, and this didn’t visually look good on the map:
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

SUPPORTS for PLAYER PANELS

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:52

In the box I still had 20mm space, so I could put something else in…something that looked like the Shogun polystyrene supports, but not so big :cry:

I could use other materials…
DAS I had used for the ships…
MDF wasn’t bad but I wasn’t so good at working it
Same thing with wood, I’m not a carpenter…
Polystyrene is easy to cut, and I almost wanted to make the Shogun supports smaller, but….

I don't know...

I considered the box and how much space I had, I tried dividing it into 10 parts and then try to embed the supports:
Immagine

Once I had decided the shape, I prepared a 2D technical drawing, which I then modified and adapted (shape and size):
Immagine

I then transformed it into 3D, to show the carpenter and give him an idea of what I had in mind:
Immagine

The carpenter told me he could do it…. After a week the 10 supports were ready… WOW!

To put the player panels together I had thought of using rectangular already cut sheets of metal I had found, 3 for each panel… but then in the carpenter’s shop I noticed a sheet of laccato which was perfect for my panels, so I asked him to make me the 30 rectangular pieces I need; it tended to fold a little, but otherwise it was perfect… maybe the metal sheets were better (they weighed more and were thinner), we will never know :D
This time I was really late for the conventions, so I didn’t study my work too much… :roll:

What happened? The carpenter did a good job, but the supports I had created weren’t very tilted; so each player panel, once it was fixed into the wooden support, was a little bit closed and difficult to read…I will find a solution!
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Player sheet of paper for trade and diplomacy

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:53

Until then, playing with my friends, we had always used odd bits of paper or an old exercise book to write down alliances and trades:
Immagine

Immagine

This wouldn’t do…all good games must have all the components to allow the players to start the game, so I needed a printed piece of paper where the players could write things down!

After considering the various diplomatic possibilities, I had prepared a sheet of paper divided in2 parts, above the trade, underneath the diplomacy…
Immagine

…I had already started this, while I was still creating the map, when I had wanted to put the diplomacy grid in the bottom part, without success.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Player sheet of paper: collecting material

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 7 giugno 2016, 12:54

Even though it was quite simple, the sheet I had printed was definitely better than what I had been using before…but there was no colour, no background…it stuck out from the rest of my prototype so I had to fix it ;)

I had never touched this section before now, I had never even thought of changing this part before…

I would have liked to create a parchment of some sort… :?:

I started searching the internet for websites that sold printable parchment paper, seals etc…maybe empty parchments where I could then glue my trade and diplomacy grids…

…could I burn along the edges? I don’t know….

….mmmmm…I couldn’t think of anything! :lol:

I tried browsing through the clipart I had on my computer….
Immagine

….and on internet…
Immagine

…until I found this picture: PERFECT as a starting point!
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

PrecedenteProssimo

Torna a The prototype: genesis and assembling