Other games?

Genesis and assembling from the first ideas until the creation of the prototype

Other games?

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 19:43

Other board games? No thank you!

We had everything we needed in this prototype, every other game seemed incomplete and boring… :P

But we did some tries till 2007…
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Magic

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 19:45

Magic: the Gathering was introduced to our group by Mozzy and Simo…

…honestly? I really thought it was a stupid game at the beginning, just because the others played too, but then I started to appreciate the infinite tactics it allowed…really crazy!

Apart from this, Magic had positive and negative aspects:

- negative: first of all there are only two players, one against each other, and even though there were 6-8 people, you were always playing separately (which I hate in games)

- negative: the economic aspect…the game has thousands of cards and each year there are basic “updates” and expansions…who spends more has more cards, and more chances of creating a more powerful “grimorio” (pack of cards)…if you wanted to play seriously you had to spend a lot of money (+ an arm, a leg and an eye!! :shock: )

- positive: we didn’t all have to meet up for a game as with the prototype and you didn’t have to play for 4-6-8 hours, a couple of hours in the evening and a pizza were enough :P

- positive: we had widened our group of friends with some new elements who appreciated Magic and would never have sat down and played with the “huge one”

I am one who likes to be able to modify, embellish, adapt a boardgame to our group’s necessities…what could I do?

First of all the economic aspect: the Magic cards are collectible, which means that some are worth a LOT more than others; to have these cards, maybe even 4 same ones, I would have had to spend too much, so I decided to print them…as we always played privately, the fact that the card wasn’t original wasn’t important (in a shop in Milan I had even seen a game with cards with different papers attached…).

A good job:
- a professional scanner to maintain a good quality of the colour
- a perfect print (on adhesive paper) for the same reason
- application on low value cards so the back of the card was like the original
- until you picked the card up you didn’t notice they weren’t original
- I had printed lots of them, I can’t remember if 200 or 300 rare ones, but I had saved more than 1000 euros
- I ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY used them to play with my friends

Here is an example of the print:
Immagine

Then I passed to the player’s support…yes because in this game there is nothing official to stand the cards on, the grimorio, the cemetery, the points…it meant it occupied little space (unless you had a pack of creatures ) and you could play everywhere (my friends had infected half the school!), but at the same time it was uncomfortable…and I liked to be comfortable…so I downloaded some pictures from internet, I modified them and printed my 640x470mm board:
Immagine

Still a bit big, but you could fold it in 2, and playing on it was completely different! :D

And another idea: why not more than 2 players? Maybe 2 opponent teams? :lol:

I immediately went to work, downloading images from internet, modifying them, and preparing some backgrounds I liked, such as this one, this time a bit smaller: 500x380mm because the space was more than enough:
Immagine

But I hadn’t finished…as there were usually 8 players, I decided to prepare a game panel for 2 teams of 4 players each, and the panel could be folded so there could be fewer players (even 1 against 1):
Immagine
Immagine
Immagine
Immagine

Here is the finished game panel:
Immagine

The game didn’t change, we had decided a couple of simple rules to attack our “non frontal” opponents and to use istant, spells and witcheries.

I had also printed the big almanac with all the descriptions of the cards and their explanations/corrections, so we had all the options…now we could PLAY!
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Call of Duty

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 20:20

Call of Duty: great computer game.

I don’t remember how we started to play…but it was a huge success.

You all know the game?
Briefly: you do the shooting, and it is set in the second world war, apart from the classic game where you play against the computer, there is also the possibility of playing online and in LAN player against player.

How many computers did we have? 1-2-3…4-5…if you bring your laptop 6, then he asks his brother to lend him a laptop so 7, I put my old Pentium III…8, ok 8 computers in my house on a 3600x1500mm table, a couple of Switch, some wires, an adaptor to plug in all the computers and the monitors….hoping that everything wouldn’t explode :lol: and here we are!

At the beginning we only had 2 original copies; then we all wanted a copy...you could download dozens of sceneries created and modified by users, each of us would copy them, one computer would be used as a “server”, the others would connect...and the battle would begin!

The nice things was that we could chose which side to be in (or random), the weapons (limited or not), the aim (flag, time, etc.)…so we were never tired; in the snow, in a bunker, underground, with jeeps or tanks, the landing in Normandy, etc…

The game was catchy, you were always concentrated because you didn’t know what was behind the corner, you had to be aware of the killers hidden everywhere…you were so concentrated that if somebody crept up behind you with a machine gun you would jump in your chair and everybody else would laugh :lol: .

My girlfriend, but not only her, when she went to bed would dream she was walking along the streets with a machine gun... :lol: :lol: :lol:

We also played online, but online players are less tactical and stumble on like kamikaze…boring, on the long run :?

it was a good experience, we had a great time, but the only limit was that you needed a computer to play…I had 2-3, but we never managed to be more than 8 players because of this hardware limit.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 20:27

Dungeons & Dragon today is 4.0 but we played with the 3.5 version.

It was Mozzy and Simo that proposed D&D to the group…they had heard a lot about it, probably some schoolmate had tried it…Francy had also been playing this game, and was willing to act as a guide and GM; she also knew people who had been playing for years, such as Fenna.

We were used to action games, so we weren’t good at role games, the only skilled ones were Francy and Fenna, who had joined us and had proposed to be the GM (game master) and explain the game to us.

I had played Tunnel&Troll as a kid, on my own, and I had tried the old D&F (the one with the red box) but I didn’t like it…I preferred Advanced Squad Leader. :shock:

Anyway, we were all attracted to novelty, so we began the new game: we didn’t know what was awaiting us, but the first instructions and GM were coming out…

At the beginning things seemed to be going well, all was new and exciting…

Then the first problems emerged…

The first problem was the number of players: Fenna couldn’t handle sessions with 7-8 people (not the 3-4 suggested by the rules)…there were some discussions…he had proposed the division into 2 groups in 2 different days (I had gone mad to create the group and he wanted to separate us), but it didn’t work…we also tried GM + assistant GM, but the latter (Mozzy) ended up doing nothing :lol: in the end though we solved this problem.

Second problem: interpreting the character…until we were in a dungeon or fighting a dragon all was ok, there were no shouted sentences: “Hey you, get your hands off me!” “CHARGE!!!!” “let’s collect the weapons and leave…” but we were doing well with the fighting, the riddles and the traps.
The problem was when the sessions were with someone who was expectong something from us…no words came out…vote 4--…
Fenna explained the concept of RP…we on the other hand explained our concept of the game as a meeting point, but we never solved the problem… we would pass from extremely boring sessions to the opposite, where Mozzy would play his PG and say: “I’m going to sit alone and think…” :( .

Third problem: the character’s equipment…obviously the GM has a story in mind, but the players don’t know what the Gm is thinking so the choosing the PG is initially on the base of rhe rules and what is written in the player’s manual.
It’s ok if you take away some particular equipment to the thief…but you can’t take a horse away from the crusader at a level where the horse is allowed, because obviously the player will say: “wouldn’t have chosen the character if I had known this.”
The player came once or twice and then no more.

Fourth problem: the cheated “saving shoots”…and this was past all limits: every so often the player had to do some “shoots” based on a characteristic, to see if they can win a challenge. The challenge can be physical, abstract, intelligence and can be completely, partly or not won…if it’s not won the PG can die.
what’s the point of having a character, described in detail, if the GM can decide that even if the challenge hasn’t been won it can live anyway?
I had chosen a thief because I wanted to “save myself” in difficult situations, as I wanted to use all my points to create more synergy in my abilities…then the GM saves a warrior (who is playing like a kamikaze) more than once. Please…

Fifth and final problem: the GM…the GM was a problem because he wouldn’t discuss the rules with us…we were used with the prototype where we changed the rules when we realized they weren’t working, we discussed, we fought, but in the end w always found a solution.
I was also reading a book that was about the extra rules in RisiKo: darkness, parachuters, etc… the players decided together which rules to use or not.
Here, even though there were written rules (Wizards of the coast), the GM decided for everybody whether to use a rule or not.
The last straw was when Fenna said: I am the GM, I command here!
I can still remember it…I was so angry!!!! :twisted: !!

I stopped playing D&D with Fenna, it took me a while to get my friends to understand that it was a wrong way of playing (they were too into the game to notice).
I became GM, but I didn’t want “abstract” game sessions, I wanted them to be as “practical” as possible, so i decided to change D&D…. Here goes!!!

To work:

first of all I bought 100 D&D miniatures, from the main character till the middle sized dragons…

then I searched online for various material, a big map of Faerun (1000mm wide) to have a clear idea of the setting…
Immagine

a great deal (200?) maps for D&D divided into squares to organize the movements of characters and monsters…I chose the best, printed them in 1:1 scale so I could use them with the miniatures…

from single buildings to create different compositions…
Immagine

to multilevel castles…
Immagine

to enormous dungeons for extra long adventures…
Immagine

I “stole” a Playmobil castle with various assault weapons to create a great adventure where the players had to conquer it and make it their starting point for new adventures…underneath the castle each player had their hideout with a certain number of rooms and doors etc…

I also downloaded from internet an infinite amount of riddles to put into the adventures.

I created the final CHARACTER GRID with everything I could possibly need:
Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

To finish the job what was missing? The GM “control panel”, a big panel with all the basic grids to play the game from beginning to end…a GM manual? No way. :lol: :lol:

This is folded over, you can fold it again in 2 or 4 to occupy less space…
Immagine

…then you start opening it…
Immagine

…more…
Immagine

…here it is, 95% finished :shock:
Immagine

The grids inside are divided by subject (of course) and some were more than one page and consultable as a small book ;)

I was still working on the front, I was undecided between a simple thing like this, which I had already printed…
Immagine

…or something more attractive, like this half done project…
Immagine
Immagine

…never finished because we stopped playing… :cry:
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Europa Universalis

Europa Universalis, on PC; now the local net with 8 PC had been put to the test with Call of Duty, and there were new opportunities... and everyone liked it, as it was very similar to my prototype.

The idea was perfect, the game was beautiful, but it didn’t last long…
There was more interest in other games, and also the computer wasn’t working…anyway, the game didn’t work.

A pity :?
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Axis & Allies

Another boardgame I really liked was Axis & Allies, when there were few of us we often played…but we had the need to make things bigger so there could be more players and more components.

I bought all the Xeno versions to have different units, and I bought all the versions of Axis & Allies when they came out (even 2 boxes :D )

We had an incredible amount of units and the fact that the colours changed from box to box only made us happy because it meant that we had an extra player :P .

We played on a giant map of Axis & Allies, downloaded from internet, and some games on the map of my prototype…
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Try: the final GAME

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 20:28

The game I had invented with my friends satisfied me 99.9%...in my head, although I had just finished the boardgame in 2000, I already had a bigger boardgame in mind. :shock:

I wanted to create a final map, of all the world, divided in 8 parts so I could decide whether to play on the whole board or only a part.

The 8 parts were divided into 4 pairs:
South America and North East America
Europe and Africa
Asia and Oceania
Pacific Ocean and North West America
Immagine
Immagine
Immagine
Immagine

7 types of ground (plain, woods, jungle, hills, mountains, glaciers, desert) and 3 types of water to satisfy every type of game.

These resources had 3 symbols each, and depending on the quantity there could be 1,2,3 symbols…
Immagine

…here’s one of the many applications on the map…
Immagine

At the end the map had to allow to play RisiKo, Axis & Allies, and obviously my prototype…I printed a copy like I showed you so I could started trying out borders, cities etc…all in a 3600x1800mm area. :mrgreen:
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Neverwinter Nights

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 20:29

It was one of the solutions we tried out to continue to play role games like D&D
- without having a GM
- so that the rules were the same for everyone
- to accelerate things and eliminate “empty moments” during the classic games with pen and paper

Neverwinter Nights was my favourite game! I had started a few years back with Baldur’s Gate and it’s expansions…you could then transfer the character into the new Neverwinter Nights series to continue with new adventures: FANTASTIC!

Obviously you could connect to a local net, we had the computers, so…LET’S DO IT!

We started off really well, we had even created a dungeon where we could leave part of our equipment when we left for a mission, we were playing standard adventures and had started from level 1…all coordinated from a computer…I could have played forever.

It didn’t last long because of the problem of the number of computer, we all had hardware of 5 years back, no antivirus, microscopic HD, a big mess in the software due to our ignorance in the matter…I had formatted and reinstalled everything, but I couldn’t do miracles, there were already pentium III, and some people were trying to come to my house with 486…what was I supposed to do? :evil:

Also, every time I managed to put a computer right, 2 days later my friend has already managed to touch something and not make it work… :twisted:

I would play again…I would like to…
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

World of Worcraft

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 20:30

E con World of Worcraft is the last game that really kept us together.
Before I knew this game, I was always playing strategic games…any computer game that was published, I would buy it, especially if it was set in the past or fantasy, but I was always playing on my own.

My friend “Malle” also played World of Worcraft since it came out in 2005…it was one of the first serious online games with a good background, a good story and setting.

he had been insisting that I should try it, but I wasn’t convinced, especially because you had to pay 13euros a month to play…I thought it was crazy.

When I went to live by myself, had my own house, computer, ADSL connection, I convinced myself…it was the beginning of the end, a big mess.

I played a lot by myself, the game was good, I had chosen a druid on the Horda faction (because my friend “Malle” was in that faction with other people)…
In a month I got to level 21 (there were 60 at the time)…then I switched sides, I went to the Alliance, they had created a Guild, the KoS, and started doing things seriously…I was cut out, but didn’t give up…
Meantime I told my friends about the game…in 2 weeks they were all at my house playing every weekend, I was 20 levels above them but was helping them to join me…there were 8 of us.

As it was an online game you can play as much as you want, we were playing so much we had created our Guild, but it hadn’t lasted: it was too complicated to manage.

Now I’m the only “serious” player left (playing at an end-game level), the others have given up or only play occasionally.

I had started to play with a druid, called Veldriss (in dark elf language it means “Lord of the darkness”) and I am still playing with him:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/it/character/hakkar/Veldriss/advanced

EDIT: for 1 week I was 5000th in the world rankings of this game :P
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Re: Other games?

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 20:33

Now it’s 3 months we’ve gone back to playing D&D and we’re extremely organized :D :D

Immagine

There are 5 players plus the GM…warrior, ranger and thief have survived till now, a cleric and a magician died while trying to complete a trial of an old powerful man of the forests…but a few days ago we met 2 new players: a magician and a dancing shadow.

The group is on the road again!
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Torna a The prototype: genesis and assembling