...1999: the big beast

Genesis and assembling from the first ideas until the creation of the prototype

Landscaping of the map

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 5 giugno 2016, 17:55

For the sea I choose still the same images used in the previous map: viking ship, marine dragon head, whale tail, mermaids... I added some ship to fill empty spaces too... I liked so ;)
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Finishing touches to the map

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 5 giugno 2016, 17:57

To complete the map I must still empty fill 2 zones not occupied by territories... were quite large to be used for something useful... why not use them to store game decks?
I began to work on backgrounds, then on the images in the foreground...

The first zone, top, was to show the name of the game (being at that time one of Europa Universalis jabberwocky player, why not call it that?), a place to rest Empire deck, Events and Calamities and also all dice:
Immagine

For the second zone, down, I was undecided... I thought about not doing the Technology deck (240 cards were many) and handle the technological advancement of the players in this area of the map:
Immagine

I liked very much the background image that I had found and absolutely wanted to use it, I became mad to find ways to use that image, it had become almost the priority problem.
But then the idea to keep hidden from other players their technologies seemed the most obvious thing, in the initial rules of the game also I had planned to steal the technologies to the opponents (a kind of industrial espionage), so I opted for a second solution...
Immagine

...but this forced me to prepare 240 cards and a quick reference table for each player:
Immagine

Better still, each player had always available this table easier to read and always at hand.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Print map

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 5 giugno 2016, 17:58

The map at the end looked like this:
Immagine

... yes, so... but on the computer: big file in tif format compressed that occupied 155 MB on hd; image was 600x482 mm with 720 dpi RGB (CMYK was too heavy, my PC was not so powerful).
Now the problem was print it... where to go? I never printed nothing that exceed A3 format... and print it on many A3 and then put them together? BLEAH :? :? :? THAT SUCKS!!!

I had to find another solution.

I tried to ask the father of my girlfriend who had a photographic studio very equipped, including a plotter A0, but my map had to be printed with a scale x3, so from 600x482 had to become 1800x1446 mm ... and bad luck wanted A0 had a maximum width of 841 mm (almost 900 mm), for the length instead there were no problems because printed on roll ... UFF, no good... printing 2 half (divide the map in 2 horizontal bands)? I hate the idea, just for nothing, already I was thinking how I could match 2 bands so long: impossible!
No, it had to be printed in a single sheet.

Then the father of my girlfriend advised me there is a professional graphic near our country that printed very large formats; I went to this graphic, I explained him my needs, I prayed for colors and sizes and then we found an agreement with price (well 100.000 lire seemed so many, but ok).
Wasted much, maybe 1 week, when printed map was ready, I went immediately to withdraw it: the colors were perfect, exactly as I would have printed (however I had left a A3 printing as had to be to not get surprises)... thank you, payed and go!!

I run to the shop of the father of my girlfriend to look the masterpiece unrolled on the floor of the photographic exhibition... too happy! I continued to watch it and think: lovely, just lovely :D nice nice nice...

Then, watching it, I was a doubt... impossible, I thought, it seemed shorter... no no, impossible, is only an optical impression...
I hadn't a meter to measure it, I hadn't even cards with me to verify in the appropriate area on the map if it fit exactly or was slightly climbing... :idea: but I knew that my wingspan is 190 cm., I lie down the map and enlarge my arms... and ... and ... and instead of be longer only with the fingers of one hand, I was be longer with whole hand: 8-9 cm shorter: :shock: :shock: :shock: &#$!!! THEY HAD PRINTED THE MAP WITH DIFERENT SCALE :twisted:

I come back to the graphic, I wasn't angry, I understood that an error can happen... I was bad but he could remedy: in fact the graphic printed up another copy (could not do otherwise, the first meeting I had remarked over and over again correct dimensions).

When the new print was ready I went to withdraw it... this time I personally controlled measures and participated also to the last stages of laminating/bonding and cropping... one of the guys escaping the trimmer while trims the outline of the map, 50% chance (unlucky) and of course the blade comes within the map parallel to the outer edge to about 15 cm ... I heard a dense stomach... uffffffffffFFF... silence gravestone for 2-3 seconds, but seemed an eternity... I did not say anything... half petrified... but maybe the 2 guys were more frightened for my face? Fortunately they made up to snag very well and hiding the cut perfectly.

I looked and regarded the map... and frankly even this time I felt there was something wrong... paranoia? booo

At home, comparison with the first print and I discover that colors are all darker, burnt in short: AWESOME!

'll be back again to the graphic that has the courage to tell me that I never noticed color different if I hadn't had the first printing as comparison... we discuss for a few minutes, he no longer had a great desire to print again, I didn't want to wait yet, then with a nice coupon I withdrew both copies (better 2 copies, I thought).
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Map Folding

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 5 giugno 2016, 17:58

By now I had most of the prints are ready, it was necessary to begin to assemble it all and finish the job.

First of all, the map would certainly be folded into 4 parts I thought (about 900x700 mm), so I did not have space problems then and certainly not through that the game should be in one box :lol: :lol: :lol:

As a "cavia" for the first test I used to print the map "smaller" ...
MATERIALS:
N° 8 sheets of cardboard of sufficient size and thickness, in my case 900x700 mm. 2 mm thick.
N° 1 roll of adhesive classic
N° 1 roll of adhesive "a little chewy: D"
N° 1 roll of adhesive canvas (very strong)
N° 1 roll of adhesive paper
pencil, eraser, tape measure, scissors, cutter, glue ... and lots of patience.

I put a couple sheets of paperboard 2 to 2 to have a pretty solid and durable surface.
Then he arranged for the ground side by side (2x2) and joined them with the adhesive canvas so that they could close on themselves, as the classic maps for almost all games in short box.
Then (and this was the most critical phase), we attacked the press over the map, it was quite simple because was adhesive, the only thing that must be VERY CAREFUL while attacking to the base board was not to create ripples or air bubbles, so my mother help me: she remove slowly the protection under the adhesive, I spread by hand over the map on cardboard.
Once I pass again with cutter the folds of the cardboard box, the result was more than good: cabbage if I was good! (I thought) I was really happy :P .

Rearranged the same for the larger map, but decided to fold in 8 instead of 4 parts to be sure of being able to carry more easily: very good result this time too.

To complete the job went to a carpenter and he cut 4 thick plywood boards. 20 mm.
I joined 4 thick with adhesive canvas so that I could fall back on themselves and I used it as a shelf above the normal table of the house who surely did not reach the 1800x1400 mm. And in this way prevent any bending / spoil the map or tilt the game ... I knew my chickens ;) .
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Coloring units

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 5 giugno 2016, 18:27

What was missing? Armies: 11 colors (10 players + the Barbarian).
I decided to still use the little tanks of RisiKo, but this time no boiling with dye for fabrics, this time it was necessary to change the method and get something serious!
I needed a easy / fast / economic system that allowed me to get good / excellent results ... (only? :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I was torn between:
- Or something resembling a system immersion coloring of the object in the same color
- A series of brushes ... and elbow grease
- Spray cans

At home I had begun to prepare 11 "batches" of tanks and flags ... I predicted for each player 100 carriarmatini, 25 tanks and 50 large flags (the barbarians were practically twice, but both were blacks and would remain so). For some colors, such as black, there were no problems: red and purple had been produced by the EG over the years with the same same shade, so I had enough; shades of green I had 2-3, but enough of one to satisfy the requirement for a player ... but then I had to create other 7 colors: dark green, light blue, blue, orange, yellow, brown and ... and. .. what color the hell I put it? Grey? White? PINK????? :lol: ok for pink... :shock:

I had one of Risk Prestige box, 0 RisiKo Tournament, one of RisiKo Master, one of the most RisiKo, 2 RisiKo old edition (without tanks large and all damaged) However I do not have enough tanks for all ... the main problem was to the failure of big tanks; also the native color of the various pieces upon which color (yellow, for example, were of a different shades for each box of RisiKo and I needed to create enough YELLOW and ORANGE, surely I could not use red as a base for the yellow, still yet for orange, even better for the brown ... etc etc.).
Made the necessary calculations, especially were missing big tanks, to compensate I would have to buy 3 new boxes: I decided to first of Risk Prestige box (the boxes were perfect, so in total I would have had 12 to 10 players and 2 for barbarians) and 2 RisiKo Tournament.

I go to a couple of paint factories in my area and I expose my problem, also I show how such a small tank, one large and the flag ... the advice is always the same: spray cans; uff, I did not spend so much, because I would be forced to buy two cans of each color... Ok ok ok, do this expense ...

I do a first try on some tanks and stands just one problem: the blast of the spray is too strong and the carriarmatini and flags move too much or they fly away ... how to work? I think about it and the first thing that comes to mind is to create on the cartons 50x70 a fairly dense grid with the masking tape ... turned face up though!
Then I position the tanks on one side, perfectly aligned, quite distant from each other to allow the spray to reach all angles.

Now I go out on the balcony of the house (when there is no wind) and start coloring: with the spray at a distance of about 15-20 cm from the tanks and 45 ° tilt, smooth movement of the hand in the medium-high speed , repeated on each of the 4 sides ... once dry, i turned all the tanks on the other side and repeated the process ... made the first hand!

After 3-4 hours I repeated the same treatment to give a second hand ... to save a little bit in terms of cardboard and paper tape I was using the same grid to similar colors: starting from the lighter I had begun to color the yellow, then orange , then the brown (same thing for light blue and blue); pink and dark green instead of 2 additional grids.

The result was great, put side by side made their good figure, I liked them very much and the colors stood out well between them and on the map.
Used a lot in the next 4 years, 90% is still perfect today, some are chipped into small points, probably part of those where I did not use a primer sprey bottom (2-3 colors) because I was finished and I had still want to buy (the paint factory then they told me it was not that important and could also avoid putting it: shock:).
Consider also the fact that I knew NOTHING about staining on plastic, I did not know who came first degreased with a detergent, dried with paper towels and allowed to dry two hours, then colored (this is only learned in 2008).

Immagine

Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Print cards

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 12:38

Then there were the cards ... on one hand I could not wait to hold the customized card decks in hand I dreamed of the '80s, on the other frightened me a little the work that awaited me:

- Print all the cards
- laminating
- crop
- Attach front and back one by one
- Go over them one by one to the imperfections

- Print:
I had already created a deck of cards for a boardgame of my creation a few years earlier, the result was good so I decided to still use the same technique: adhesive A4 sheets for laser printers.
To be sure to take the right sheets, I bought a pair before to experiment with the laser printer (mindful of the fact that if they were not attacking the wrong color on paper, cooked and risked damaging the printer).
I could print up to 8 cards per sheet (4x2), I could have done even 9 (3x3) but I did not keep them too close together. Total cards to create 456 (152 Empire 240 Civilization, 40 events, 24 Calamity), if we consider the front and back of paper become ... 8 912 prints per sheet, 114 sheets ... 50 sheets per pack, 3 packs .
After a few test prints made for the color in no time they were ready.
This time I had the cards printed both sides on this adhesive paper, the other time I had printed with regular paper and to join the front and back I had used double-sided tape: apart from the lavorone to position and crop Codest double-sided tape that was attached anywhere and dirtied immediately scissors, the final thickness of the cards was a little too high ... but now I had almost halved the thickness.

- Laminating
I had discovered, always creating the boardgame mentioned before, the possibility of using a PVC roll transparent adhesive very thin (individual thin sheets of the same material in Stationers / paint factories of the area I had found it, boooo). Practically I cut out the rectangles slightly smaller than A4 size, but large enough to cover the 8 cards on one sheet; He had to be very much careful to "spread" evenly on the PVC sheet so as not to create air bubbles and / or ripples ... 114 sheets ... uff ...
Obviously does not end here, to get the best result you had to pass them in the hot plasticizer: made the adhesion between PVC and perfect card, homogeneous, shiny ... but of course, in the plasticizer, the sheets are passed at low speed and with medium / high temperature (no exaggeration) ... 114 sheets ... uff uff...

- Cut
And here I want you ... in my ignorance, I had started in the same way that I had made the 200 of the previous papers boardgame: with scissors ... 456 cards, 912 prints, each print 4 sides ... 3648 sides to be cut with absolute precision ... maybe better shoot straight?
Bought brand new scissors that cut the thickness composed of PVC and adhesive paper as if it were butter, incredible ease, you ... ok, but after a while the first bladder, the hand became marble, eyes like those of hens: shock: a force to maintain the accuracy of the blade on the center of a black line half a millimeter thick ... 456 cards, 912 prints, each print 4 sides ... 3648 sides to be cut with absolute precision ... uff uff uff .. .
I do not remember at what point I had arrived, maybe I was still far away from the middle, but I remember that one evening I was telling my "odyssey with the cards" to my girlfriend, and she tells me quietly: "But excuse me, why do not you come into the store that there is a cutter that we use for the photographs? " (His father was a photographer).
I of course I was a bit skeptical at first, convinced that the cutter could not be so precise to be cut exactly the same way on all sides of the cards ... She insists ... ok ok ok, we see this cutter.
His father, always very kind, had already advised me very much for printing the map ... always in his study had me print all the cards with his Laser Printer "professional" (I would say the color rendering excellent) and ... This time it explains and demonstrates the accuracy of the cutter.
CRAZY!! In two hours, maybe three, I was able to complete the work by hand would have taken two weeks definitely ... CRAZY !!

- Attach the front and back
The cutter to cut ok, but this time you can not escape, combine the front and back of the cards had to be done by hand one by one ... 456 front and 456 rear ... uff uff uff uff ...

procedure:
- Taking a front and a back and remove the protective film on the adhesive side
- Placed on a perfectly flat floor with the adhesive side facing up
- Bringing the front and back so as to match perfectly the inner long side between them
- Slowly lift the front and back from the outer edges (one in each hand) without losing the alignment
- Once you get to 45 ° from the plane (and then 90 ° to each other), if everything is ok, end up joining the paper

- Go over them one by one to the imperfections
Last step, a general visual review of all edges to check for imperfections due to earlier stages ... and some intervention of scissors here and there to correct them.

Result would say EXCELLENT: straultrausate for 4 years, battered by my friends, you could even almost crumple, but just a moment and wipe with a sponge and back to life ... of 1 to 10? 11!

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Panels player

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 12:49

I was almost in the finishing straight ... then it was a month that my friends were starting to "break up" and ask: Is it ready? When we play? They also had reason ... but I was not ready yet ...
The Basics of the players still were missing, I had already decided to use the Shogun (since I owned 2 boxes), were perfect for a game like mine where they had planned rules of auctions / reserves off the map / trade ... in short where the opponent was not to know your real economic / military possibilities.

To begin then, depredai the Shogun 2 boxes of 10 bases polystyrene ...
Immagine

Then I began to prepare the players panels ...

Internally I already knew what to put, had created three tables with a summary of the main rules which I believe could be due to slowdown in a game:
as you can see below, the first table was for COST MOVING depending on the type of soil on the board; central tables were for transportation (type / speed / transportation / cost) and at the bottom center to strengthen the armies; The table on the right was for overpopulation and fortifications.
Immagine
The background of each table was the same used to color the Empire on the map to make it easier recognition.

Externally, however, did not know what to ... I had some idea in your head about the distinction for religion, but I did not know how to fill "empty spaces", I did not want a bare panel.
Then I recalled the images on the edge of the map of Napoleon in Europe, were not exactly the historical period that I had chosen, but I liked the visual impact ... and not coming on can think of nothing better, I decided to scan them and use them as a starting point:
Immagine

The game was designed for 10 players divided into five pairs (alliances), each couple had to have a different religion, so I decided to include Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox Christians, Shiites and Sunnis and their symbols (even that reflected the historical situation, but I liked):
Immagine

Once cleaned up the scanned image by Napoleon in Europe, attacked the background inside the same, added the religious symbol and the name of the Empire, the outside of the player panel looked like this:
Immagine

... And this is the result in the field:
Immagine

Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Flags of means of transport

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 12:52

It was not over yet ... you hoped?
Instead there were still preparing the flags for the various means of transport: warhorses, caravans from trade and ships of both kinds.
Nothing complicated: the color of the player background and the means of transport symbol to embellish a little.
Size the same as those of the Serenissima because I had bought a new box to get more goods, more ships from trade, the more coins and of course a complete set of "toothpicks plastic" for attacarci my flags instead of the original ones of the game.

These are three examples of flags that I had created:
Immagine

Obviously were doubled for both sides of the flag, multiplied by an abundant number to order a spare in case of replacement, finally organized on the usual adhesive sheets for laser printer ... 2 colors for each sheet, then laminated, cut (this time for hand strength given the small size) and applied one by one on the "toothpicks plastic".

Below a player set of these prepared:
Immagine

Here an A4 sheet ready to print:
Immagine

Note: the flags were the last things done, but just past the past, in fact I had not even cut the time to start the first game ... as I explained, in fact, I cut out the bare essentials to start and as needed, and I cut out I attacked the other ... in the background of a serene box I have still a good supply of flags, almost half! 8-)
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Play or not?

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 6 giugno 2016, 12:55

I'm thinking if I left out something important, but it seems that we ... it was time to PLAY!

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

---

Immagine

Immagine

Thanks dutiful to my friends:

"Lorry", Lorenzo Manella
"Lollius", Giuseppe Lollio
"Milly", Michele Zanni
"Mozzy", Paolo Bertollo
"Simo", Simone Silini
"Beppe", Nicola Manella
"Petto", Marco Pettoello
"Tarzia", Fabio Tarzia
"Zanni", Marco Zanni
"Bertoni", Paolo Bertoni
"Paolo", Paolo Bettoni
"Jacopo", Jacopo... and sorry, I can not remember the name
"Francy", Francesca Giacomini
"Ianno", Nicola Iannone (io)
others who have only played 1 or 2-3 games.

Thanks also to Anna and her father, from whom I learned and saw a lot of things on the photo editing world, without them I think the aesthetics of the game would not be so high quality.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Precedente

Torna a The prototype: genesis and assembling