...1999: the big beast

Genesis and assembling from the first ideas until the creation of the prototype

...1999: the big beast

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 18 marzo 2016, 13:49

My previous creation, despite it was being very simple, I had given the chance to experience the exploitation of computer with all its potential ... but also bending techniques, cutting, laminating, thickness of paper and Cartonboard, bi-adhesive tapes ... and even colouring through boiling :lol: :lol: :lol:

The game was beautiful, but especially allowed us to play ALL TOGETHER was the thing that truly fundamental.

Meanwhile players grew and after 2-3 years this "mega risikone" began too "little"... spontaneously some additional rules very simple were born, for example about diplomacy, but we couldn't go further because I had no longer created nothing; the second deck with all expansions was never born, sorry, but honestly in that period I preferred playing on PC :P .

However at some point, the situation had become unmanageable: WE WERE TOO MANY! We touched even use terrible color units to play since 9-10, even 11!

So ... a day, a long time ago in 1999, I taken the decision and told my friends: "Now I make to us the GAME!"
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Collection of ideas

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 18 marzo 2016, 13:50

The project was ambitious, a whole game: map, cards, tables, panels player, dice, units, ships, goods ... etc etc etc ... Millions of ideas, not only from the very first prototype of 10 years earlier, but from all those games on computer that were coming out every month and that I used to play very often; the gender "MANAGERIAL" for instance, where player is asked to check a population, primary resources collect, trade, develop the technologies, strengthen the army, manage diplomacy with opponents ...

These games were undergoing, if first ruled only the "SHOOTER" and the "ARCADE", now the power of power of new PC made amusing even the "MANAGERIAL" ... I'd almost all :shock: .

For my prototype needed all material can be found, then I bought a 10 GB HD (attention :lol: :lol: ) and on it I installed all the games useful purpose.
Then I began to "rummage" inside computer in all subfolders of the games to make a copy of the backgrounds, images, logos, textures and even music in MP3 or WAV format... all of that was a quantity of approximately 4 GB of files... If you think about file size in 1999, were really so many.

Then was the time of boardgames that I had in my house: an accurate census of all material available in each box to know what I had "ready"; then an in-depth study of some manual, just to complete the general framework.
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Study of transport

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 18 marzo 2016, 13:50

At this point, in my pocket-book "historic", I began to come together and develop the various aspects of the game...

Transports: capacity, movement and types
Immagine

I taken the same mechanics that we had used 10 years earlier, but more simple unchecking the custom attributes system (speed/goods/armed), otherwise the checkers of games available couldn't represent dozens of combinations. I was very sad to take this decision because possible "monsters" (like fast leopard caravans or large cargo ships like Titanic but with only 2 rowers) has been tempered by game... pity, it was very fun.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Study and definition of terrain types

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 18 marzo 2016, 13:51

Types of terrain, moving costs and limit overpopulation
Immagine

Many games on computers and wargames had rules on terrain represented on a territory and this thing very liked to me.

Then I was tired of having, during the long matches Risiko, territories impossible to conquer because occupied by dozens and dozens of armies, so matches were blocked and we lose the desire to attack and to play... so I introduced also rules on overpopulation and related cross-bonus with technologies, city and fortifications.
Immagine

Both rules were developed based on ideas of other games, both for the real availability of checkers: I had 4 dimensions of city units, so I combined with cities 4 types of fortification and I decided to use 4 main types of terrain (for a map like one I had in my mind, I couldn't increase detail with marsh land type, beach, jungle, steppes, ... etc).
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Study and definition cards

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 18 marzo 2016, 13:52

Cards... oooo, I spent 3 months to define cards; I wanted to create decks that I would do anything... FORTUNATELY I did not know the existence of MAGIC, otherwise it would have been the end :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

The idea was to have technology, calamities and a deck of cards to do everything ... and all these things must interact among themselves, with bonus/malus and combo.

For cards "EMPIRE", those that the player draws every turn, I started by ideas such as Marco Polo, Risiko Più, Anno Domini and more.
I made a list of what I would have loved to have and then I started to give it a name and characteristics.
Immagine

Then I balanced total bonus card attack and defense in order not to favour attackers and defenders...
Immagine

... and finally I calculated the total quantity of cards inside deck for 10 players, all then "adapted" to production needs: each printed sheet will contain 8 cards.
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Early notes...

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 18 marzo 2016, 13:53

Other notes on fightr...
Immagine

I wanted to expand the combat system with "tactics based on general experience" to let the attacker and the Defender to handle more battles... but then these mechanical "remained in the drawer"... they will return useful... ;)
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Number of Players

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 18 marzo 2016, 13:53

Calculations about number of players and factions membership according to the number of players...
Immagine

I really do not lay the problem if in a game we had been less than 5 ... I had tried to provide also for 4 players, but then I thought: "but when ever we'll play less than 6!"
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Random events

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 18 marzo 2016, 13:54

Random Factors... and now?

Surely the game should be lively, basic I had thought:

- "soft factors" as random events (positive and negative) affecting a particular area of the map; I had ready cards events of Marco Polo, so I corrected some words in the texts that no had reports with my kind of game, in a couple of days they were defined.

- one barbarian faction, managed automatically, that would "break the balls" during the game ... everyone knew what he could do, but not when and where. At the beginning I felt something unmanageable and most complicated; I liked how it worked on "Risk" for computer, but how thought IA? So I began playing at Risk, trying to understand a little more as it was structured this mechanic, then I began to extrapolate deductions that I was able to generalise to then create rules on rebellion, reinforcements and expansion of barbarians ... and already I was there, even the pirates :shock:

- "hard" factors like the CALAMITIES...
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

The Calamities

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 18 marzo 2016, 13:54

Calamities like to all... when a calamity hit during the game EVERYONE shouting, applaud... the card is there... face down... no one knows what is going to happen... PLAGUE or CRUSADE? FAMINE or BARBARIANS INVASION? All together applaud and call the card with chorus... someone is elated, someone else a little worried... are those 30-50 seconds of interminable waiting... If then the player who must show Calmity also puts suspence, the wait is really awesome!!! Then he shows the Calmity: the unfortunate victims would shoot yourself, someone bites lips thinking: "I knew I had to buy protection!". The lucky excluded are 1 meter high jumping, looking on "unfortunate" and telling him: "now, I know your pains! AHAHAHA!!!".

But the Calamities in order to achieve this effect, must be well balanced:
- do not have to wipe out an entire faction
- but should not be too light otherwise what kind of Calmities are?
- There must always be the possibility to save himself if the player takes precautions
- maybe not must be hit only one player, maybe 2-3 or even all and perhaps differently

Only this? :shock: :shock: :shock:

What I decided to do? First of all I started from everything I had, some cards of boardgame "Marco Polo" and "Age of Renassaince" were ok at my case, I made a list and I began to reason...
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Probability calculations

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 18 marzo 2016, 13:55

Then I need an easy way to manage all these random factors, obviously events "soft" had to happen quite frequently and those "hard" very very rarely, this because nobody in theory had to be eliminated easily, also the game did not have to win (if you though that the game had on his side the barbarians, some events and calamities, there was a remote chance that this would happen).

Anyway I decided to introduce the roll of 2 dice (6 faces), only different of this 2 dice is a skull instead of number 1.

I began to calculate mathematical probability to get all possible results:
Immagine

There were a total of 36 combinations, obviously the result of 7 was the most frequent (6/36 possibilities: 6 + 1, 5 + 2, 4 + 3, 3 + 4 + 5, 2, 1 + 6), 2 skulls only 1/36 possibilities (1 + 1), double were 6/36 possibilities (1 + 1, 2 + 2, 3 + 3, 4 + 4 + 5, 5, 6 + 6) etc etc ... in short, once calculated mathematical probabilities for every combination roll or a combination set, I decided how often had to happen something in the game and I made the necessary matching "random event" with dice roll.

Remained always the random factor, as in games like roulette where a number win never or often, but it hadn't importance... so it was thought in 1999 and remained unchanged until today after hundreds of games... seems OK ;) .
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Prossimo

Torna a The prototype: genesis and assembling