Change generational during '90s

Genesis and assembling from the first ideas until the creation of the prototype

Change generational during '90s

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 16 marzo 2016, 8:18

Until we were young all things work out fine; we must only "eat and sleep" like babies, but we say that we had really a lot of free time.

Then some years later we begin with the first serious commitments: examinations of school, University or first work, girlfriends ... practically we lost us a bit and we are no longer able to play.

I had left the environment of rowing so it was missing "the place" where normally, finished training, we said: "boys, this afternoon who will come to play at my house?"

Without rowing I couldn't continue, maybe I hadn't more time to train every day, but I miss so much lake and the oar and so after a couple of years I come back...

So I come back, but the faces were changed, many "old" athletes had disappeared and in their place there were a lot of new faces of "bociahina" (young boys in italian slang). Anyway in short time I make friends with these new athletes ... and obviously couldn't miss invitation afternoon for the classic game of Risiko! ;)
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Re: Change generational during '90s

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 16 marzo 2016, 8:18

Unfortunatly there was a problem: players were too many! If with old game weren't ever less than 4 (maximum 6), now the volunteers for the afternoon fun were always more than 7 ... What to do?
mumble... mumble...

How to fix the problem in no time?

After thinking a lot very much I got the idea, like Vicky il vichingo (cartoon): to create maxi board to play up to 10 people.

Now the PC had arrived to version Pentium III, there were several games and programs available, there was scanner to 2400dpi and high-resolution printer (720dpi on special paper, wow!!! :lol: ).
It was a nice challenge, I knew something of use vector or photo editing programs, but it was more a littleplay creating business cards, letters, decorated or charts and technical drawings for my father... but the idea to make the game was very interesting and so I start my first creation...
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 16 marzo 2016, 8:20

For the map I decided to choose the game on PC "Risk" of the Jewel Case, it had a lot of scenarios, but scenario in Europe about Napoleon was the TOP.
Also were represented various types of terrain: forest, desert, mountains, plain...
I thought: "now I don't have time, but this map will be perfect to expand the game later with all those rules we had already tested :D :D :D " wOOOw!

Screenshot of the original game on PC: you may notice the different terrain types, the generals, the fortifications and also the rebels (grey color)
Immagine
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 16 marzo 2016, 8:22

I was thinking something of simple about cards, but nice, couldn't develop cards "complicated" as Mesciòt, I had no time and I had no desire; then I opted for a system equal to classic Risiko: Cannon, Jack, Knight, jolly and objectives.

I token a dozen history books of my father and I started to browse searching useful images... Luckily I found 3 images in different poses that were very nice, for cannon instead nothing to do and I was forced to draw and color it (for that I knew to do).

Here are 4 figures used:
Immagine
My skills in image manipulation were really basic if not less, I can't remember if I was already able to use selection masks, but most (95%) of cropping work was done 1 pixel by 1 pixel :shock: ... until they were these 4 images ok, but try to think when I had to crop the sea from all map...

Then it was time to create the final cards... layout, background, colors... work very long, a lot of tests, then the computers certainly not had incredible performance with images "heavy".
I prepared a series of solutions represented below:
Immagine

And then, once chosen, I created the cards, 185 territories, 9 jolly, 30 objectives!!! :shock:
Immagine

My little brain already thought to all future expansions of cards to be added, but not now... However the back of future deck was ready on (and the same image even on the map to have already a place where support them).
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 16 marzo 2016, 8:22

Then it was the time of the map... first imported from the game on PC, thene "cleaned" and removed the background of the Sea (because the original was very dark), it appeared in this way:
Immagine

A bit meagre... what you say?
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 16 marzo 2016, 8:24

To enhance the look of the map I fixed a number of things:

- find a nice color for the sea

- put a legend, like Risiko, for the armies of reinforcement based on Kingdoms/Empires owned
Immagine

- add names to Kingdoms/Empires

- embellish it with various images like this...
Immagine

...or this...
Immagine

Ended, the map looked like this:
Immagine

Obviously all map with high resolution: 1140x814 mm. size and 360dpi.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 16 marzo 2016, 8:24

Meanwhile we had to solve another big problem: the number of players ... I would have preferred having dozen, but the standard colors of little tanks were 6, what could I do?
Color it all? ok, but how? Brush ... spray ... uff!!! ...

My mother, trying to help me, told me: "why not use dyestuff for clothes, whitch stand in washing machine?" At the time I just thought: "What kind of mental pairing is the textiles with the plastic little tank" and so dismissed immediatly this idea ... but then I decided to give it a try, so what I could lose? If they do not colored ... peace and love.

I decided to buy one of these dyes and I did the first experiment: 6 plastic little tank, 1 for each color, to boil in the pot with the dye ... I was sure that they would loose or deformed with heat, instead remained intact :shock:

The result was interesting, I don't remember that dye used, but the result was more or less the same:
- the little tank nero had remained black
- blue had taken a gradient terrible
- violet was faded, but definitely wasn't pink
- red... don't remember
- yellow had become darker gray, but more gray than orange
- green was darker

Some reactions between color dye and little tank were not, however, as I have taught logic at school, for example yellow + blue = green... probably the plastic reacted differently, so I bought other different dyes and did other experiments, writing all results.

At the end I had a small table with indicated dye to use, combined with plastic color to get at the end a new colour different from 6 major. I prepared "volunteers" little tanks and began to boil down :lol:
Only swindle, but I realized too late: I had boxes of Risiko of different vintages (perhaps before 1981 and so on until the last of the 1994 about) so plastic of little tanks ranged widely from box to box, and then many yellow became a horrible color ash, same thing for some green and so on ... in short, a hundred little tanks were not "promoted": cry:.

However, good or bad, I had made :P .
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 16 marzo 2016, 8:26

The boardgame was ready, it had nothing of historic, definitely dragons and sirens there entered anything with the Napoleonic period, but in our opinion it was nice to see and play ... and this I think it was the most important thing.

A few pictures of the Archive of a game, at least 10 years ago:
Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

As you can see from the photos, some new players were quite young, about 12 years, and this game was going fine ... but it was only the beginning, now I had experienced with some success the ability to create custom maps and charts, it was sufficient simply apply all to the first prototype of a few years before... I was already very excited :D :D :D :D
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 16 marzo 2016, 8:26

All the work to realize map, decks, testing etc etc is stored on my PC and it occupied about 1250 MB out of a total of 53 file... in that period it was really a big quantity.

Thanks to this new generation of players, even if they are 10-15 years younger than myself, many of them are still my best friends:

Armati Paolo
Bertollo Paolo
Bertoni Daniele
Bettoni Paolo
Bosio Davide
Cerea Giuseppe
Manella Lorenzo
Manella Nicola
Pettoello Marco
Silini Simone
Tarzia Fabio
Zanni Marco
Zanni Michele
others...

P.S. One thing that comes to my mind now: do you remember the little tanks that weren't promoted as color after boiling with dyes? Obviously I don't threw them, indeed, they were used for game with 12-13 players ... 13 seems to have been the maximum number of players during 2-3 games.

NOTE: Although this may seem a prototype completely different from version today, in fact was a test of my potential and the springboard to get started really thinking I can create a game like MedioEvo Universalis ... so I had made experiments on materials, papers, maps, decks, colour etc etc.
Veldriss
"IL CREATORE"
"IL CREATORE"

Messaggio da leggereda Veldriss il 10 dicembre 2016, 19:58

I add grandfather's photos of this prototype reconstructed for the exhibition organized in Sovere about the evolution of MedioEvo Universalis:: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11460

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine

Immagine